Friday, December 6, 2013

The Days Are Just Packed

I return home in less than two weeks! These days have gone by way too fast, but they've been packed with many great experiences. Here are the ones I remember or that are interesting enough to write about.

A while back there was an trip to Pablo Neruda's third house, in Isla Negra. Don't let Google Translate fool you - it is not on an island and the land certainly isn't black. I was pretty excited since I already saw his other two houses (Valparaiso and Santiago) so I felt like a true Chilean. You aren't allowed to take photos inside the house, so to make my parents think that I actually followed the rules, I'm going to only post photos taken from outside the house. The house is right on the coast and a lot more private than the other two, so it was my favorite.
Um that's not his house.


This is also where Pablo and his wife were buried! Were buried...not are buried. If you are into conspiracy theories, you will love this. Neruda mysteriously died on September 23,1973 to what was publicized as prostate cancer. BUTT, many believe that he was actually poisoned by the regime of Pinochet! (If you don't know who that is, go look it up. It's kind of a long story. I linked his name to his Wikipedia page for you, since the one thing I learned in high school is as long as you don't list it as one, Wikipedia is the best source). Neruda died fewer than two weeks after the military coup that brought Pinochet to power (and since his death was so all of a sudden AND he was a supporter and friend of Salvador Allende (the previous president) people think there must be a relation). But the reason his remains aren't there anymore is because his body was exhumed to find out more details about his death, and if the rumors are true.
Here is a picture of his tombstone reflecting the garden and the ocean. I got inspiration from my dad, being the poet and tombstone artist that he is. He goes around and takes photos of poets' graves. Check it out. I mean, he digs dead poets - how could you not be interested?

The Grove City College program was going to take us to a national soccer game but the tickets were sold out too fast, so we had this extra money to spend. So we went to Santiago to enjoy the city, but mostly to go to Fantasilandia, Chile's largest amusement park. Plus we decided to go on a "Noche de Terror" since it was around Jalogüin.  Compared to the ones I've been to in the states, it wasn't too impressive, but it was still pretty cool. I went with a really great group of friends, so they helped make it fun. See for yourself:









The living dead that were walking and groaning throughout the theme park weren't the only frightful part of the night. I won't go into too much detail but there were definitely some scary strippers. One of them turned into a gorilla and terrorized us all. 

Also on the streets of Santiago we met a contestant from the game show "A Todo O Nada". It's like a mix of "Fear Factor" and "Minute to Win It" and "Million Dollar Money Drop"and  "Beat the Clock" and "Pyramid" and "Wipeout." So...everything you've ever wanted in a game show. My friend recognized him.

It was his pants, I'm guessing. 
As all of you know (since you have all been reading all my blogposts) I'm in a choir here at my school, and it's my favorite thing about the school. We had a joint concert with the choir from the Santiago campus, singing some songs by ourselves and other songs with them. Here is a video of just the 14 of us from the Viña campus choir. And, as you would probably guess, we sang the WHOLE 2-hour van ride back. Basically my life is Pitch Perfect...except without the flying Mexican food.

This! What is that called? 
I got to volunteer for this organization that paints houses in a poor area of Valparaiso. It was such a great day. I got to see some buildings go from shabby to pretty, I got paint all over myself, I met some really cool Chileans, I got free lunch, and I got to stand on the 4th level of one of those things that painters stand on to paint the facades of buildings. I don't know what it's called, I'll let the photos explain.

I only picked this photo because it makes my arm look big. No shame.  

It was 'nippy' if you catch my drift...


One more thing. I FINISHED CLASSES! Just like Ralph, I'm learneding!





No comments:

Post a Comment