Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Loca

I'm going to take a leap here and say that Chile's national anthem is not the song they play when Chile wins an Olympic gold medal; it's this song by Chico Trujillo:
The title of the song is a good description of what Chile is like. If you haven't noticed already by reading my blog, Chile is kind of loca.
Honestly though, everyone knows all the lyrics and Chico Trujillo is considered a god. When I asked my host brother to give me the names of some good Chilean musicians to listen to, he wrote this guy's name first with three check marks next to it. I looked up some of his music and actually bought some on iTunes, much to my host sister's disbelief. When I told her I bought music on iTunes, she was seriously dumbfounded. I guess no one actually buys music (or movies, for that matter) here in Chile; it's all pirated. You should've seen her face. Loca.

If you didn't hear the vuvuzelas and car horns yourself, then you may not know: CHILE CLASSIFIED FOR THE WORLD CUP! Last week Chile's national soccer team played Ecuador and won 2-1, meaning they have officially qualified to play in the World Cup tournament! Immediately after the game, the streets became mobbed because everyone left their respective houses and favorite local bars to celebrate. Everyone was drunk and reckless, so things got crazy pretty quick. This is pretty much what it consisted of: chants, flags, vuvuzelas and other noisemakers, beer, costumes, drums, dancing, and yelling. In one word: Loca. It looked like a huge riot was happening (which wouldn't be uncommon for Chile, but I'll save that for another time) so I'm just glad I wasn't there to witness what it would've looked like if Chile had lost! I recorded this video below to give you a taste of what it was like. (I realize that you may have Chico Trujillo's song still playing. You're just going to have to figure out how to manage having two videos to watch. I believe in you.)


There was a Circus in town! But it cost too much for Colin and I, plus the long line of people at the entrance consisted of either children under ten or their parents. We tried to go in with our friend Areyonna and pretend like we didn't understand that it cost money, but I kind of messed up the plan by actually speaking Spanish. Whatever, it was cool to look at from the outside. 
5000 pesos = 10 bucks. Like anyone could even afford that. 

 On Saturday I went to the Santiago with Colin and an amigo santiaguiño, Ricardo. First we went to the largest mall in Latin America which is connected to the tallest building in Latin America, or at least that's what they say. 
Oh, you fancy, huh? 


And as we were walking in the city, looking for book stores and places to eat completos, we came across a Zombie Walk. It's kind of a creepy march across the city where people dress up as the living dead. It originally started by fans of "The Walking Dead" TV show but now it's just something fun people do to express their love of zombies. I was actually very  impressed with some of the makeup some of these people had. I saw extended jaws, missing eyes, gashes across the face, nasty protuberances, and plenty of blood spilling all over the place. Loca.
What's next, Meth Head Walks for "Breaking Bad" fans? 
And this is the part of my blog where I try to be serious. Let's see how that works out. 
We went to the zoo! I loved it a lot. But while trying to capture photos of all the animals, my camera kept focusing on the cage instead of the animal behind it. But this made me realize something profound. These animals are being taken out of their natural habitat and placed in a confined space behind a cage without enough room to live properly. And the only reason they are put there is so people like me can go and take a hundred photos to upload to Facebook and their blog. Here are some of the pictures I thought were rather saddening, whether it was a monkey trying to climb towards the freedom that wasn't there or a Nile Crocodile that should've been renamed Puddle Crocodile.



                    


 Now, I'm not going to join PETA or anything because of this, but it's definitely something to think about. Also, something else to think about is the fact that while squinting into my camera, it was trying to open my eyes to the truth. Loca.


No comments:

Post a Comment