Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Everything I've Ever Learned Is Wrong

Ok, maybe that's an overstatement. But let me just say that Chilean is a language of its own. I feel like every time I remember a word from even my middle school Spanish, it's wrong and they laugh at me. I'm going to have to write a post just with all the words that they say differently here.

But let's rewind.

After a night of surprisingly not stressful packing and preparing, I left my house on Thursday at 12:45 pm to get to the bus station in Portland. Then I took a 1:30 bus to Boston Logan airport with plenty of time to spare before my 5:40 plane to Miami. With the 60% on-time performance rate that American Airlines has, I wasn't surprised that my flight didn't actually start boarding until 6:45. I arrived in Miami just in time to board the next flight to Santiago. This is where I met up with Colin, my friend from Grove City who is also studying in Chile. It was a squishy 8-hour overnight flight that didn't include much sleep but did include complimentary dinner and breakfast. I've always heard airplane food is gross but it wasn't too bad. Other than that bun. That bun was gross. Also, since I stayed up for the majority of the night it meant that I was able to see the sunrise behind the Andes.
#ImsocreativebecauseItookaphotoofthemountainsoutsidemyplanewindowandincludedthewingoftheairplane
We were told beforehand that we were to look for a man holding a sign with the University insignia on it. Too bad there were literally 30 men holding their own signs with their own insignias on them. Luckily we found our group and after a bit of introductions, we headed on a bus to Viña del Mar. I fell asleep for most of it because the comfort-level was seven times higher than the plane. Too bad there was no complimentary food though.
We got to Viña del Mar and we were immediately picked up by our host families. My mother introduced herself as "Pilar" and we got to know each other a little bit on the ride to the house. I had no plans so I just stayed at home and rested a bit.
My own little corner, my own little chair

We had lunch and that's when I got to meet my brother Raimundo (Rai, 23), and my sister Camila (Cami, 26). The whole family is very sweet and, at least for now, they speak slowly enough for me and have the patience to make conversation with me, always teaching me Chilenismos (there are many) which are not things you learn in the classroom . Like I said, everything I've ever learned is wrong. Fun facts about Chile: the biggest and most important meal is lunch, and dinner is small and not super important. The whole family is there for lunch and it's sometimes over an hour, if you include the conversation that takes place. Dinner is usually some bread with cheese and avocado or marmalade and some salad and some fruit. Bread is eaten at every meal and there's a lot of it. I went to bed early that night.

That was all day one. (and a half)

Saturday: Orientation at my school, La Universidad Adolfo Ibañez. They say it's the best business school in South America so there are tons of international students from all over the world. Today we got acquainted with the school, other new students, and the leaders of the program. We also got acquainted with a Spanish exam and the regret of not studying Spanish all Summer. But the view of the city from the school is amazing and they say it never gets old.
I can see my house from here! 
But you know what's better? The view I saw that night at the beach. I'm a ten-minute walk away from this. 
God worked overtime for this one. Praise Him. 
On Sunday, Colin and I walked to church, and because of some miscommunication, we got there for the last 20 minutes. But they still made us two stand up at the front and introduce ourselves, which I was honestly ready for that to happen, so it didn't shock me. They were very nice and we are excited to go back.
After lunch, I went out with Cami and her boyfriend Fernando to Valparaíso, the town bordering Viña del Mar. It is a tourist town with quite the sights; murals all over the walls, one of the most beautiful ocean views ever, and even Pablo Neruda's houses!
Christmas tree, wheels, Menorah, boat, Chilean flag, bombs, mushrooms. One of these things is not like the other. 

I'm sure Pablo wouldn't be pleased with everyone peeking in his windows and taking photos.
The three of us talked so much all day that my brain hurt and yearned for some mindless Youtube videos in the English language. But when we returned to the house, we ate dinner and kept conversing, and I found myself trying to explain things which I can't even explain in English. This caused my first mind freak-out. I was so tired from speaking and hearing Spanish all day that my mind went to mush. Like, I even messed up cognates. But I guess that's a good problem to have.

That was my first weekend and it was altogether amazing. I'm excited to the max, and I would love prayer from my brothers and sisters back home. Pray that I will keep my eyes focused on the Lord and remain grateful and humble. This is truly an amazing opportunity to serve Him, so pray that He will guide me to wherever He wants me to do just that.

I miss you all from home, from church, from camp, from school, and maybe even from that one random time we met (I know that's one of you). You are all in my heart and in my prayers! :) 

3 comments:

  1. wow check out that view! How old are your host siblings? What is the meaning of your apostraphed blog name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing. Cami is 26 and Rai is 23. Figure it out.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, Chilean Spanish, or "how I stopped being an insomniac for the first time in nine years"... I was just so physically and mentally exhausted for the first couple months that I couldn't NOT collapse into a heap of coma-like sleep. And when you think you have the Chilean Spanish down, head to Chiloe.

    Glad you're safe and sound and ready for action!

    ReplyDelete